Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Spencer's Homecoming

Spencer was supposed to arrive home on July 10th, then it was the 15th, then maybe the 12th, then back to the 15th but possibly the 14th, then all of a sudden it was the 13th @ 9PM..... until he called about a plane delay.....so the 13th @ 11PM.....until he called about another delay......Midnight. When we arrived at the airport to pick Spencer up it was deserted! The kids were so excited about their dad coming home that they stayed up to wait.
When a family member is coming home from deployment, the airline usually lets the family get a "gate pass" allowing the family to wait a the gate. Because of the late hour, all the ticket counters were closed, including inbound security. So we waited in the welcome lounge on the main floor by the baggage claim. They have a really fun GPS tracking system where you can view the plane's location in relation to the airport so we knew when his plane had landed.
Tucson International's welcome lounge has a video monitor that shows the hallway before the stairs to the main floor. It was fun to watch for movement on the screen and then about 30 seconds later have Spencer come down the stairs. Spencer was one of the first ones down the stairs.... you think he was in a hurry to see us?
This is the sign that Aidan and Abby helped paint/decorate for Spencer. We also had flags to wave.
My heart still skips a beat just looking at the picture. When the kids saw Spencer they ran to him and gave him a great big hug! Aidan had no reservation about running to see Spencer. Thanks to the miracle of the web cam Aidan saw his face too often to forget what his dad looks like. Right when he stood up with the kids is when I gave him my welcome hug....
What a long awaited reunion!! We are so glad to have Spencer home!!! Spencer held the kids for most of the time before his bags came through the baggage chute.
Daddy's Little girl.

Spencer is constantly amazed at how big Aidan is and how much he talks. Aidan is excited to tell his dad about EVERYTHING. "Dad! LOOK!"
The Complete Crandall Family.
Can you believe how awake my kids are when it is past midnight?
Have you ever heard of Flat Stanley? He is a paper man that is mailed across the country. People take pictures of him then send the picture to the kid who sent them Flat Stanley. Well.... Abby has a Deployment Monkey. This little white monkey has gone with Spencer on all 3 Deployments. I will attach more pictures at a later date of all the places the monkey went. There is even a picture of the monkey sitting on one of Saddam Hussein's Thrones!
Both of the Kids were asleep when we got home. They were exhausted.
When we woke up Monday morning, a member from the church (Bart-- thank you, thank you thank you) had put up flags in the front yard welcoming Spencer home. The kids and I had also put a sign in the window letting everyone know what all the fuss was about.
I love the American Flag and all that it stands for!

Welcome Home Spencer!!! We are all excited to have him around again. I hope you enjoy the pictures of our glorious reunion.

11 comments:

Stacy said...

Kristen, Spencer, Abby & Aidan: I am so excited for all of you that Spencer is finally back and is safe...all though I am hesitant to say in one piece...(Where did he leave his hair??) Must be the military cut! Well the kids looked cute and full of energy when they got to see Spencer. I bet it is quite the emotional high for the kids to get to have their daddy back home. Kris, What a fun birthday present...also your outfit looked really cute. Your photos are always so fun to look at!! Have a great week together.

SugarBells said...

Welcome home Spencer!!! Love the pics Kris, they're inspiring (geez, look at your house - AWEsome!!!) Gotta tell ya, you're looking cute-cute-cute Kris! I love lookin' at your pics, they're so much fun. Oh and Spencer, you're looking totally spunk-EEE!!! Love you guys!
The Bells xx

SugarBells said...

Ok, I'm fanning my eyes. I couldn't get half way through your blog entry without misting over. Congrats again to all of you for making it!! Welcome home again, Spencer! Now it's my turn to wait for Clint. Haha, the irony! Tho I don't have to wait 6 months...you all rock!

*More hugs!*

Crandalls said...

Hey Crandall family! We are so happy you are back together.....and we can't wait to see you all in a few weeks. You too made me cry looking at the pictures...guess it all just rings so close to home. You guys are so strong and such good examples to us! Thanks for being who you are...see you soon! Love Dan and Sierra

Candace said...

Wow that worked out to be a perfect birthday present for you Kristen! Glad that Spencer made it home okay. And Kristen, all of your pictures are amazing (the clouds in Abby's eyes are so cool!).

Jennie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niki said...

We are so glad that Spencer is home safe and sound...let us know if you want us to babysit you so too can have a date night!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Spencer! I love all the pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. We love you all!

Shelley said...

WOW!...tears...WOW!....thank you Spencer...WOW!
So glad you are home safe and sound.
Thanks for sacrificing your man Kristen.
We love and miss you.

The Nevin's

coachodeeps said...

Crandall!

You are the man! Welcome home to the great US of A! Thank you for serving your country and departing your family for so long! Thank you for your efforts and your willingness to sacrafice to go defend people elsewhere and establish peace and freedom!

I am so honored to call you friend! You are amazing. Thank you!

Enjoy being with your family!!!!

Welcome Home!!

Love you, man!

Randy

Chalen said...

Have fun being all together again. We are glad that Spencer made it home safe. I though I second Stacy's thought about wonderin' where the hair went. I thought the same thing. Ethan is looking forward to seeing you guys!! We have all had fun looking at your cute pictures. BTW, I found a cute background at Leelou that would match your patriotic theme. Check out: http://leeloustars.blogspot.com/

Pickens Plan